Friday, 8 June 2012

prison diary 2

So there I was,all innocent you might say and willing to help out with the spying. "This,"  I thought to myself, "is where I set myself up. Where I make myself popular."  So I happily squeezed into  the space between the outer wall and the secret wall. ThenI settled down to wait.

The guests came in. As far as I could tell, there were two lots.  One from the islands and one from down Glen Elg, where they had rights to the ferry.  Our man was very cheery with them both, pouring the best claret and the best whisky as if they were water. They wer talkingof a geat battle at which they planned to finish off the English threat. It was all going like  a song  until the laird`s son came running in.

He was soaking wet and covered in mud. "Quick!" he cried, "Mairie`s run away with the son of Strathnever."   At that the laird made his excuses and left. "Enjoy yourselves,"he told his guests. I know where they`ve gone. I`ll be back within the hour. There`s food a-plenty, so do not stint yourselves."

With that he was away with much banging of doors. It had all been arranged because he suspected  these two of treachery of his two guests and he wanted to give them the chance to air their thoughts.  They  sat downand began to make a thorough job of deciding how they were to turn on the laird and kill his whole family. You may be sure I noted all this most carefully and started looking forward to my reward.

When the laird came back, he immediately ran to my hiding place and dragged me out.  Surrounded by his men. He made me tell my tale, then started blaming me for spying, saying I was working for the English, or the Cambells at any rate, and that he would deal with me later. Once again, I was escorted to the dungeon. 

This time I was not so foolish. I had found a pistol lying in the secret passage and stuck it in my waistband. So I was able to fell my jailer with a single blow to the back of the head. I gagged him with his shirt and locked him in.  

There was a terrific row going on the Hall and was able to creep out of the castle. I found the horses, mounted one and drove the others in front of me. My time learning to drive a chariot was not wasted.

And that was how I escaped. I missed eseing Bonnie Prince Charlie,but you can have too muchvfun in one day. As soon as Iwas sure I ad got clear, I peformed the ritual for moving and came back down..... well, you`ll have to wait and see now.  I  have learned to read and write and I know a bit about the Romans. But there are many parts of Diarmid`story I know nthing about . And there are things I have to learn about the modern age.  It is important that I doscover how things are for you.

May the wind be always at your back.



No comments:

Post a Comment