Monday, 4 June 2012

celts v romans: conor`s blog

Sorry. I fell asleep.  I forget now how ling I was in that dungeon. You see I`d gone up to visit the Picts, in Scotland.
I wanted to learn about how they helped teh Brigants in their long fight with the Romans. The were rebellions all the time they were here. The Romans, that is.
Well, you know how it is with this Slipshifting.  I ended up miles out of my way. And in the wrong time.  The Scots were about to rebel and try to put Bonnie Prince Charlie on the throne of England.

At teh time, there were a lot of English spies about. And scottish spies working for the English. And French spies working for the Scots and the English and everyonebwas getting all het up about it. 
At the time, I had been workingon my Scots Gaelic,which was quite good. The only trouble was I had the wrong accent.

So natrually,I was hit on the head. They put me on a cart and dragged me off to a loch in the North-West of the country, in an area called Assynt.  Now Assynt is very wild and windy and cold, and it`s full of bears and wolves. It is also full of castles and to avod the bears and wolves, they build them on islands in the middle of lochs. 

What with all the excitement going on everywhere, people coming and going bday and night, discussion going on with these people and nobody quite sure who to trust, I ws forgotten for a couple of weeks. 
I lay in a dungeon with only rats for company sothat when they did finallpullme out, I was in a bad way. Or rather, avery bad way.  They could see there wanot much left of me, so whenI told them my story,they were very sorry for what had happened.

At that time, people were more likely to believe in ghosts and all that kind of thing, so it was easy for them to accept that I wasn`t lying.  They were holding me out of an upper window by my ankles, which made it more likely that I was telling the truth.  

After that they couldn`t do enough for me.  I was fed and given whisky, which was very pleasant and I had a bed to sleep in.  It turned out that they wanted someone to do a bit of spying, on their best friends and closest neighbours.  For this purpose,they had built a spare wall,just far enough from the outer wall for a body to slip along.  This passage ran along the Great Hall, just under the roof and anyone who was in it could hear what was being said at dinner, about twelve feet below. 

Look, I`m feeling very tired again I htnik ll`I sujt go to plees agina........................

No comments:

Post a Comment